- Book Now
- Example Itinerary
- Included / Not Included
- Equipment Required
- Availability & Prices
- << Back to Alpinism
Basic Mountaineering Course in the Dolomites
Enter your start date, end date and number of people and we will check availability and prices for you. The recommended duration for this activity is between 1 and 5 days. However, you can book as many days as suits your requirements. If your group size is more than 3 please contact us for a bespoke quote. Special prices for families and children: please contact us.
- We will select the best location based on conditions
- Excellent training and attention to detail
- Fun and friendly approach
- Tailor made courses according to your level and needs
Location : Ponte di Legno
Ratio : 1:3
Available during : Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec
- In Autumn and Winter, when the mountain huts are still closed, we will stay in a village in the mountains and every day we will use the ski lift system to get up onto snow and glaciers to practice our skills. For the rock part, there are lots of sunny crags that are perfect for practicing mountaineering skills.
- In Spring, the huts are open for ski touring. So if you are a skier, we can use ski touring skis for our mountaineering course, selecting a hut to hut multi day trip. If you are not a skier, the logistics will be the same as Autumn and Winter.
- In the Summer, when the mountain huts are open, we will select the best location in the Alps according to the conditions in the mountains and the weather forecast.
In this Basic Mountaineering Course, we can work with groups from one to three people per Guide. We do not have pre-set dates for our courses or trips because we work around the needs and technical level of our clients.
This course can be a combination of day trips, spending the nights in a mountain village and multiday mountaineering trips where we will stay in rifugi when they are open (mountain huts). These courses can be organised all year round and depending on the time of year, the logistics will change:
The program will be custom made according to the participants level, needs and according to the weather forecast / mountain conditions.
It is for you and your guide to decide the exact makeup of your booking however, these itinerary days shown below are an example of how a booking for this activity could be structured.
Day 1 - Basic Training
Before we head to the mountains, we need to go though a series of routine exercises. According to your experience, this could take from a few hours to a couple of days. These are the topics: basic climbing technique, rope work, knots, basic mountaineering equipment, belaying and abseiling, crampon technique, ice axe arrest, crevasse rescue.
Days 2,3,4 and 5 - Adamello Glacier Trip
This itinerary has it all for mountaineering training: Via Ferrata, rocky and snowy ridges, glaciers, crevasses, hospitable comfortable huts, awesome views, high altitude environment. Compared to the Guided trip version, you will be guiding! Each day, together with you Guide, you will plan the itinerary on the map, choose the best route, decide what equipment to use and how, learn how to safely glacier travel and navigate in case of bad weather. All under the watchful eye of your Guide. A total full immersion experience. For more info on the itinerary, go to the specific page.
- Services of IFMGA Mountain Guide
- Liability insurance
- All food and drinks for clients and guides
- Travel, accident and cancellation insurance for clients
- Hut costs for clients and Guides
- Guides travel expences
- Cable cars and ski lifts for clients and guides
- Accommodation (more info)
- Transfers (more info)
- Mountaineering equipment (more info)
What's Not Included
You are a keen hill walker and would like to learn the basics about mountaineering. No previous or very little mountaineering experience is required. You should not be afraid of heights. You are in good physical shape, able to walk 1000 metres up and down hill at altitude and for 6-8 hours per day.
- Technical equipment (these items can be rented): harness, helmet, ice axe, crampons, Via Ferrata set, rock climbing shoes.
- Personal equipment: mountaineering boots, 30 litre backpack, 1 litre thermos or water bottle, provisions (energy bars, chocolate, dried fruit, sandwiches), first aid kit, sun glasses (protection factor 3 or 4), goggles, gore-tex jacket and overpants, windstopper vest, gaiters, mountain pants, fleece jacket, breathable base layers, lightweight gloves, thick gloves, warm hat, bandana, sun screen factor 50.
- For the huts: sleeping bag liner, change of socks, headtorch and spare batteries, mountaineering club membership, toothbrush & toothpaste, small towel, wipes, i-pod.
Availability & Prices
This activity is available to be booked for any date/dates within the availablity periods shown below. Because we tailor your booking to suit your exact requirements you can book this activity for as many days as you like. The recommended duration for this activity is between 1 and 5 days. If your group size is more than 3 please contact us for a bespoke quote. Special prices for families and children: please contact us.
|Availability period||from : 10/01/2023||to : 14/04/2024|
|Number of people||Price (€)|
|1 Pax||€350.00 per person per day|
|2 Pax||€200.00 per person per day|
|3 Pax||€150.00 per person per day|
Basic Mountaineering Course in the Dolomites Reviews
"I am back in Ireland and already missing Italy! I just wanted to drop you a line to thank you and Matt for a really great week. You were both so patient and excellent teachers. I learned a lot in a few days. We were a mixed bunch with a range of abilities and objectives but we were all well catered for and were all impressed with the high standard of instruction we received. Thank you as well for imparting your passion for and knowledge of the Adamello region and its history, it really made the trip special. Also, the photos are great! Hopefully we'll see you in Italy again some day - you got Noel and myself thinking about ski-touring, would love to try it. Thanks again, as we say here, Míle Buíochas"