- Book Now
- Example Itinerary
- Included / Not Included
- Equipment Required
- Availability & Prices
- << Back to Ski Touring
Ski Touring Adamello Glacier
Enter your start date, end date and number of people and we will check availability and prices for you. The recommended duration for this activity is between 1 and 4 days. However, you can book as many days as suits your requirements. If your group size is more than 4 please contact us for a bespoke quote. Special prices for families and children: please contact us.
- Ski tour on Italy’s largest glacier
- Excellent huts with great hospitality and Italian food
- Hippopotamus Cannon 149G
- The area is an open air WW1 museum
Location : Ponte di Legno
Ratio : 1:4
Available during : Mar, Apr, May
We are often asked which is the best way to explore the Adamello mountain range, whether on foot or with skis. Without a shadow of doubt skis enable you to traverse across this gigantic glacier more easily, both while ascending and descending.
As the glacier is so vast, travelling on skis is far easier than on foot. The snow covered mountains and the "Pian di Neve" (literally "snow plain") in its white vest are quite simply spectacular with its innumerable itineraries.
The Adamello Ski Tour is a magnificent journey into the very heart of the Adamello mountain range and its imposing glacier system (at 13 square km the largest in Italy). The tour begins at Passo del Tonale which gave the name to the magma rock which constitutes the backbone of this massif: Tonalite.
It is for you and your guide to decide the exact makeup of your booking however, these itinerary days shown below are an example of how a booking for this activity could be structured.
Day 1 - Ability and equipment check on the off-piste itineraries of Passo Tonale
We will spend the day getting to know you and checking your equipment. Before we start out for the mountains, we want to see you ski and make sure that you are fit enough for this trip, technically and physically. We also want to be sure that you are fully equipped: once we head into the backcountry, there won’t be anymore occasions to replace missing items or flat batteries.
Day 2 - Into the backcountry
From Passo Tonale reach the Presena glacier via the lifts. After Passo Presena (2950m) descend to Rifugio Mandrone (2500m). After a stop for refreshments ascend to Rifugio Caduti dell’Adamello (3040m). Uphill 700m. Downhill 500m.
Day 3 - World War One Cannon "Hippopotamus"
Ascend to Cresta Croce and the nearby World War One Cannon (also called the "Hippopotamus") with its exceptional panorama on the Adamello Glacier. Return to Rifugio Caduti dell’Adamello via the same route. Up and downhill 400m.
Day 4 -One of the best off-piste descents in the Alps
Cross the glacier to reach Passo Venezia. From here all that is left to do is “dive” down the incredible descent onto the Pisgana glacier: more than 2000m of elevation drop, spread out over 10km, all the way to Ponte di Legno! Uphill 400m. Downhill 2000m.
- Services of IFMGA Mountain Guide
- Liability insurance
- All food and drinks for clients and guides
- Travel, accident and cancellation insurance for clients
- Hut costs for clients and Guides
- Guides travel expences
- Cable cars and ski lifts for clients and guides
- Accommodation (more info)
- Transfers (more info)
- Ski touring equipment (more info)
What's Not Included
You are a confident off-piste skier, used to ski on black runs and on all types of snow. You should be in good physical shape and be able to ski tour up hill for 3-4 hours at altitude. In this tour we will be touring and sleeping between 2000 and 3300m.
- Technical equipment (these items can be rented): ski touring skis, ski touring boots, climbing skins, ski crampons, poles, avalanche transceiver, shovel, probe, backpack, boot crampons, ice axe, harness, 2 screw gate carabineers, daisy chain or 120cm dyneema sling.
- Personal equipment: 1 litre thermos, provisions for during the day (energy bars, chocolate, dried fruit, sandwiches), first aid kit, sun glasses (protection factor 3 or 4), goggles, gore-tex jacket and overpants, windstopper vest, ski touring pants, fleece jacket, breathable base layers, lightweight gloves, thick gloves or mittens, wool hat, bandana, sun screen factor 50.
- For the hut: sleeping bag liner, change of socks, head torch, toothbrush & toothpaste, small towel, wipes, i-pod.
Availability & Prices
This activity is available to be booked for any date/dates within the availablity periods shown below. Because we tailor your booking to suit your exact requirements you can book this activity for as many days as you like. The recommended duration for this activity is between 1 and 4 days. If your group size is more than 4 please contact us for a bespoke quote. Special prices for families and children: please contact us.
|Availability period||from : 02/03/2024||to : 01/05/2024|
|Number of people||Price (€)|
|1 Pax||€350.00 per person per day|
|2 Pax||€200.00 per person per day|
|3 Pax||€150.00 per person per day|
|4 Pax||€125.00 per person per day|
Ski Touring Adamello Glacier Reviews
"First of all I want to thank you and Max for the splendid three days. Thanks for looking after my little brother who was a bit tired. As usual we take a lot of great memories and feelings back home with us and... a bit more off-piste skiing experience and confidence.""